What are Silicone properties?
Silicones are polymers made up of siloxane – a chain of alternating silicon and oxygen atoms frequently combined with carbon and/or hydrogen. They are often one- or two-part polymers, and may contain fillers to improve properties or reduce cost. In its natural state, silicone rubber is a highly-adhesive gel or liquid. Only when cured, vulcanised or catalysed does it convert to a solid.
The outstanding characteristic of Silicone rubber materials is that they are generally non-reactive, stable, and resistant to extreme environments and temperatures. Trade names include Rhodosil and Elastosil.
What is Silicone rubber commonly used for?
There are multiple formulations of Silicone rubbers including: steam resistant, metal detectable, high tear strength, extreme high temperature, extreme low temperature, electrically conductive, chemical/oil/acid/gas resistant, low smoke emitting, and flame-retardant。 Typical uses include:
- Aerospace in the form of O-Rings, Seals and Gaskets in gas turbine, piston and jet engines.
- Food & dairy
- Instrumentation & Electronics?due to its electrically insulative or conductive properties it is suitable for a wide range of applications.
- Medical devices and orthopaedic products due to its durability and bio-compatibility.
- Motorsport & Specialist Automotive seals & gaskets.
- 申博体育Subsea, Oil & Gas connectors repelling water and with great thermal stability.
Rubber materials expertise
At DP Seals we pride ourselves on being able to provide specialist advice in selecting and developing exactly the right blend of materials to meet a vast range of performance requirements。
As part of our service we also maintain a large quantity and variety of quality raw materials in stock, enabling us to offer fast turnaround and provide for tight deadlines.
The information provided here is only a guide to Silicone’s primary characteristics and uses。 The relationship between material, product performance and blend options is complex。
Below you’ll find many free resources to help you think about material selection and we are always on hand to discuss your requirements and provide expert advice。